1907 Jewel Model B 8hp Runabout
Engine no. 56
127.2ci two-cycle 2-cylinder engine
2-speed planetary transmission
Solid front and live rear axle with full-elliptic leaf springs
*Previous long term ownership in a prominent Northeast Collection for more than 50 years
*Rare survivor of the marque
*Starter motor fitted for ease of use
The Jewel Car
The Jewel automobile had its start in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1905. Five businessmen joined together to form the Forest City Motor Company, playing on their city's longtime nickname: The Forest City. They built a prototype car and began seeking investors. The best source of finance, however, came from Massillon, Ohio, about 50 miles to the south, so the Forest City Motor Company left the Forest City, and in 1906 began manufacturing a car called the Jewell. A single-cylinder high-wheeler with rope drive, it had a runabout body that could be tilted upward to access the engine. Sales were initially somewhat lackluster, so the car was updated in design, and along the way renamed as "Jewel", of which this is an example. Contemporary advertising material for updated Jewel played heavily on the ease of use of its two stroke motor. They stated that there were 'no valves to adjust, repair or replace, no small outer parts. No complicated machinery therefore to master. Operation of the Jewel is as nearly automatic as is possible for mechanism actuated by human will'!
The Motorcar Offered
Close inspection of this car reveals that the 'Jewel' is just that, for the mechanical or engineer-minded. The car appears beautifully and thoughtfully designed. Its bodywork sits atop a transverse mounted, fully elliptic leaf spring at the front and on either side at the rear, which will no doubt give a comfortable ride. The supporting bracketry throughout the car, from the body mountings to the wing stays, has shapely curves and the car is generally a joy to the eye. While on the mechanical side, the purposeful 8hp water cooled motor is known not only for its reliability but also for its torque, some claiming that these cars will lift their front wheels on 'take off'!
This Jewel resided in its previous family ownership for roughly half a century, where in its latter years of custody, it sat alongside an impressive private collection. It was returned to running condition in 2003, and then shown at Hershey as well as at other Brass era events.
Sold by Bonhams in 2009, the car subsequently passed into British ownership, where it was recommissioned and returned to use. Aesthetically, the Jewel's condition is that of a nicely mellowed older cosmetic restoration, which suits the car it presents very well.
The car is smartly presented in red and black livery with red chassis detail, with black upholstery and leather dash-board. It is equipped with brass oil lamps.
Exceedingly rare and technically interesting, the Jewel enjoys the benefit of a recently fitted starter motor. One of only a handful of survivors of the marque, the handsome and attractive Jewel would make an ideal entry for the growing number of rallies for early 'single and twin' cylinder cars.
- Please note that the chassis number for this vehicle is D3107, it is titled as a 1905 and its title is in transit.
Please note that the engine number listed is actually a casting number.