1911 Courier Stoddard 20 Commercial Wagon
Chassis no. D142
226.2ci L-Head Inline 4-cylinder engine
Single Stromberg Carburetor
4-wheel semi-elliptical leaf springs
Rear wheel internal expanding drum brakes
*Formerly in the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
*Offered from a Private European Museum Collection
*Rare sister brand to a legendary manufacturer
The very first Stoddard-Dayton, completed in 1904, was a standout four-cylinder car; in 1905 the company adopted the slogan, "As Good as It Looks." The massive, sturdy and luxurious models that followed sold well in their upper rung price classfor a while. But, fortunes changed after the company became affiliated with Benjamin Briscoe's U.S. Motor Co. in mid-1911. Despite new models powered by Knight-patent sleeve valve engines, Stoddard-Dayton was gone by 1913.
In 1909, Stoddard Dayton announced the formation of the Courier Car Company. Built in a separate factory in Dayton, Ohio, Courier allowed Stoddard to produce a lower priced car while preserving the Stoddard Dayton name for its flagship offering. The cars were produced from 1910 to 1912 and varied between 20-30hp. The models were offered at price competitive with many of the smaller sized cars, including Ford, but offered more performance than most of their rivals. Unfortunately, Courier and Stoddard Dayton failed with the implosion of United States Motors in 1912
The 1911 Courier Stoddard 20 Commercial Wagon combined the rugged utility of a light truck with the convenience of a four-passenger carthe rear seat could be easily removed and re-installed as requirements dictated. The Model was targeted at business men who needed a truck during the week but a car on the weekends.
The Motorcar Offered
This example is an older amateur restoration of a mostly original vehicle. According to an MSI condition report, the chassis appears to be original and authentic. The engine retains its original-type carburetor and magneto ignition system. The frame, suspension components, steering gear, and three-speed manual sliding-gear transmission are also correct and appear to be in good condition.
Prior to the vehicle's sale to the present owner in 2008, the engine was repaired as needed by MSI staff. The radiator is a modern replacement, with a steel frame that has been painted gold to suggest the appearance of the original cellular-core brass radiator.
The body, which is mostly constructed of wood, appears essentially solid and mostly original. The upholstery has a period look. The original fenders show evidence having been repaired over the years. The car is equipped with period-authentic brass headlamps, sidelamps and bulb horn. A period-authentic accessory brass spot lamp and Presto-lite tank for illuminating the headlamps are also installed. The electric Klaxon horn is a later item.
The Courier Stoddard 20 shows well enough as-is to be used for parades, tours and local exhibitions.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit.