1907 Schacht Model K Runabout
Chassis no. 1647
Horizontally opposed side-valve 2-cylinder engine
Schebler brass sidedraft carburetor
Solid front and rear axles with full-length semi-elliptical leaf springs
*Formerly the Property of the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, from 1941-2008
*Offered from a Private European Museum Collection
*Rare highwheels with wheel steering control
Schacht was a Cincinnati builder of horse-drawn carriages and wagons before turning to automobile production early in the 20th century. A high-wheel gas-powered buggy Schacht marketed as the Auto-Runabout was offered as early as 1904 and as late as 1910. After 1910, Schacht produced rather conventional automobiles until 1913, and then concentrated on trucks, which they would build at their Ohio factory well into the 1930s.
Unlike some other high-wheel vehicles, the Schacht had a steering wheel (instead of a tiller) and its engine was water-cooled
as attested to by its prominent brass radiator. Marketed as the invincible car, the Schacht enjoyed considerable popularity during few years that high-wheelers were in demand.
The Schacht and other high-wheel self-propelled buggies encouraged the transition from the horse-drawn utilitarian vehicle to the automobile. They were popular with farmers, who appreciated their high stance, which helped them navigate the typically deeply rutted rural roads of the period.
The Motorcar Offered
The 1907 Schacht Model K Runabout offered here was sold new in Chicago by the Cornish Friedberg Motor Car Company, located at 1233 Michigan South Avenue on Dealer Row, as that section of Michigan Avenue was called. There are two brass plaques attached to the vehicle identifying the dealership. The Schacht arrived at the MSI in 1941.
The car is unquestionably in good original condition. The wood body is largely intact and appears solid, except for an older repair on one side, near the transmission output shaft. The older repaint was done in a period correct red, with black accents and gold striping and is very representative of the original finish. The upholstery has been replaced. The brass radiator appears to have been completely remanufactured, but closely resembles the original design.
The horizontally opposed 2-cylinder, 12hp engine is complete and has a proper Schebler brass sidedraft carburetor. The ignition coils have been replaced but the ignition timer appears to be original. The engine turns over easily. The friction drive transmission appears to be complete and in operating condition, as is the chain-driven rear axle. The steering components are also complete, including the brass steering wheel with its column-mounted spark and throttle levers. The wood artillery wheels appear to be original and are in good, solid condition, as are the hard-rubber tires.
Overall, this vehicle could be museum displayed in its current condition. The Schacht Runabout is a rather jaunty high-wheel car, compared to some of its utilitarian buckboard-like competitors, a facet that makes it all the more interesting.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit.