1963 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
Chassis no. 63E 103348
390ci OHV V8 engine
Single Rochester four-barrel carburetor
325bhp at 4,800rpm
Four-speed Hydra-Matic automatic transmission
Four-wheel air suspension
Four-wheel power assisted hydraulic drum brakes
-Offered from a Private Collection
-Rare Biarritz model
-Four seater convertible
The Eldorado Biarritz
With their jet fighter styling, glitzy chrome trim, color-matched interiors and jukebox instrumentation, Cadillacs of the late '50s/early '60s epitomized an era when nothing succeeded like excess. Their over-the-top tail fins remain controversial even today. By the late 1950s Cadillacs incorporated new X-braced tubular chassis frames that increased structural rigidity while making lower body lines possible without loss of interior space; although hardly any larger than before, these restyled and low-slung Caddies looked bigger, which was all that mattered. They also sported fashionable tail fins. General Motors' chief stylist Harley Earl had introduced fins on the 1948 Cadillacs and the device would reach its zenith in 1959.
For 1960 the fins were toned down just a little and the overall look was slightly more restrained. Base model Series 6200 cars came with power steering, power brakes and automatic transmission as standard, while the DeVille Series 6300 offered power windows and seats in addition.
The 1963 Eldorado Biarritz was the first convertible to have Fleetwood bodywork since the Series 90 of 1941, and the phasing out of two- and four-door convertible '75's. It owed much to its predecessor in terms of looks, but now had more pronounced front and more subtle rear fender treatment. These cars received a completely new engine unit, although it retained the same performance figures of the previous year's 390 cubic inch motor. For those that liked options, the biggest roll call yet was offered with a massive 143 tailored options, not for the indecisive!
The Motorcar Offered
As confirmed from the car's body tag, this Eldorado Biarritz was built in the 4th week of March 1963. Its bodywork was in Ebony Black 'Magic Mirror' acrylic lacquer and was matched by its interior and top, for the desirable 'triple black' configuration. Options selected for its build were soft ray tinted glass, power door locks, power trunk control, air conditioning and white wall tires.
Viewed today, the Biarritz is pretty much as delivered, although at some point the top has been replaced in white vinyl, while the interior appears almost certainly to be the original and is in very tidy order.
This striking and commodious Cadillac has been used for local parades has been exercised and enjoyed regularly; it will no doubt provide its next owner with a similarly enjoyable steed.