1955 Ariel 998cc Square Four 4G Mk2
Registration no. WWL 570
Frame no. PS193
Engine no. GL163
Designed by Edward Turner, creator of the legendary Triumph Speed Twin, the first Ariel Square Four was shown at the Olympia Motorcycle Show in 1930. Conceived as an overhead-camshaft 500, the model grew to 601cc before a total redesign saw it emerge as the Model 4G, with 995cc overhead-valve engine, in 1937. Anstey-link plunger rear suspension became an option in 1939 but would not be offered again until 1946, when a telescopic front fork replaced the previous girder type. An exercise in weight shedding saw the cast-iron cylinder head and barrel replaced by alloy components for 1949, the revised model, now capable of 90mph-plus, being known as the Mark 1. Introduced in 1953, the 'four pipe' Mk2 with redesigned cylinder head elevated the Square Four into the league of genuine 100mph motorcycles. Square Four production ceased in 1959, along with that of all other Ariel four-strokes. This late example comes with Swansea V5C document and an old-style continuation logbook (issued March 1967) listing four owners between then and July 1969. 'WWL 570' has been stored in a warehouse, unused, since its purchase in 1971 and will require extensive re-commissioning or, more likely, full restoration before returning to the road. Sold strictly as viewed, the machine comes with sundry spares to include silencers (x2), handlebars, cables and a throttle twist grip.
- There is no V5C with this machine.