1959 Triumph 500cc Tiger 100 Project
Registration no. RFY 399
Frame no. 028483
Engine no. T100 028483
The sports version of Edward Turner's trend-setting Speed Twin, the Tiger 100 was launched in 1938, reappearing in 1946 with telescopic forks in place of the original girders, and separate dynamo and magneto instead of the pre-war version's mag-dyno. An alloy cylinder head and barrel were adopted for 1951, these and other engine improvements boosting power to 32bhp, while a swinging-arm frame and 8"-diameter front brake (first seen on the 650cc Tiger 110) were fitted from 1954 onwards. A splayed-port cylinder head with twin carburettors became available from the start of the 1957 model year, and this would represent the ultimate development of the Tiger 100, which in mid-1959 was replaced by the new, unitary construction Tiger 100A. Sold strictly as viewed, this incomplete Tiger 100 is an unfinished restoration project started by the vendor's late father. Included, but not fitted, are an incomplete Amal Monobloc carburettor, two rocker boxes, footrests, coil, horn, ammeter, brake pedal, newly painted fuel tank, exhaust pipes and rusty silencers. The last MoT expired in 1990 and the machine also comes with (copy) Swansea V5 and V5C. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with regard to this Lot's completeness or otherwise prior to bidding.