1952 Triumph 500cc Tiger 100
Registration no. VYS 601
Frame no. 32513 (see text)
Engine no. T100C 32513 (see text)
The Tiger 100 sports version of Triumphs trend-setting Speed Twin was launched in 1938, reappearing in 1946 with telescopic forks in place of the original girders, and separate dynamo and magneto instead of the originals magdyno. A die-cast alloy cylinder head and barrel were adopted for 1951, these and other engine improvements boosting power to 32bhp. For Tiger owners who wished to go racing, Triumph offered a kit of performance parts that included high-compression pistons, hot cams, up-rated valve springs, twin carburettors, megaphone exhausts, etc. For 1953 the kit was dropped but most of the parts found their way onto a new competition-orientated production model: the T100C, produced for that year only. According to the VMCCs records, Tiger 100 with frame/engine number 32513 was despatched from the factory on 10th September 1952 but there is no indication on the records that this was a T100C model. It should also be noted that both the frame and engine numbers appear to have been over-stamped. Originally supplied by W L Handley Ltd of Birmingham, VYS 601 has been owned by the vendors late father since December 1996 and was last MoTd/taxed for the road in 2005, since when it has been in storage. Offered in need of re-commissioning, the machine comes with purchase receipt, various old MoTs, tax discs and SORNs, and old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents. Also on file is what appears to be an engine specification sheet listing such items as E3134 cams, R followers, lightened cam wheels, etc but it is not known whether the engine was actually built to this specification.