1939 Brough Superior 982cc SS80 Project
Registration no. FTV 710
Frame no. M8/1909
Engine no. BS/X 4774
Introduced in 1922, the SS80 (so-called because of its guaranteed 80mph top speed in road trim) achieved instant fame when a stripped-for-racing version ridden by George Brough became the first sidevalve-engined machine to lap Brooklands at over 100mph. Brough entered the 1930s with an entirely JAP-powered range, and then, after a brief absence, the SS80 re-appeared in 1935 as the SS80 Special, this time with an engine built by Associated Motor Cycles. Similar to that of the Matchless Model X, the 982cc sidevalve v-twin incorporated Brough's preferred 'knife-and-fork' big-end bearing arrangement, instead of the side-by-side connecting rods of the Matchless. The model continued to use the Plumstead-made engine until production ceased in 1939.
Works Records show that 'FTV 710' left the factory on 7th April 1939 incorporating frame number 'M8/2139' and engine number 'BS/X 4774'. Equipped with chromed mudguards and Castle forks, the latter an unusual feature on a rigid-framed model, the machine was despatched to Hooley's Garage, Nottingham. At some time it has been rebuilt around frame number 'M8/1909', which must have happened prior to 1960 as that number is recorded in the accompanying old-style continuation logbook, issued in January of that year. Frame 'M8/1909' originally formed part of an SS80, fitted with engine number 'BS/X 4642' and equipped with Druid forks, which was sent to Leighton's of Oxford in December 1937 and registered 'FWL 826'.
In the early post-war years, 'FTV 710' belonged to a Mr Ludlow in Fleetwood, Lancashire. In 1964 the BSOC recorded the machine as belonging to the vendor's late father. A challenging yet potentially most rewarding project for the dedicated Brough enthusiast, the machine comes with the aforementioned logbook and is sold strictly as viewed.