1926 Royal Enfield 2¾hp Standard
Registration no. YP 4873
Frame no. 11964
Engine no. A6737
Royal Enfield's first 2¾hp (350cc) motorcycle appeared in 1924 in overhead-valve and sidevalve versions, both of which used engines supplied by J A Prestwich. The JAP engine gave way to one of Royal Enfield's own manufacture for 1925, the three-speed Sturmey Archer gearbox being standardised at the same time. This sidevalve-engined Royal Enfield 2¾hp Standard model was purchased by its late owner in 1972 (receipt on file) and restored over the next three years, a process that consumed some 3,500 hours. Following completion, the Enfield was rallied extensively for the next few years, taking part in the Windsor Run (twice), Birmingham Tour, Northants Run, Weymouth Run and Coventry-Brighton Run. It also won the Vintage class at the VMCC's Stonehenge Section's Spring Run. Last taxed in 1980, 'YP 4873' was subsequently kept in store as a 'retirement project' as the tank needed further refurbishment. Sadly, the owner died in 2005 and the work was never completed. Offered for sale by the deceased's family, the machine will require re-commissioning before returning to the road. Accompanying documentation consists of the aforementioned receipt, various press cuttings, three expired MoTs from the 1970s and an old-style Swansea V5. Two original Royal Enfield instruction manuals are included in the sale.
- The engine number is I41.