1922 OEC-Blackburne Twin
Frame no. 2325
Engine no. V114
Best remembered for its curious 'duplex' form of steering gear and Claude Temple's record-breaking exploits on the mighty OEC-Temple-Anzani, the Osborn Engineering Company commenced motorcycle manufacture in 1914. The Gosport-based firm began by making motorcycles under contract to engine manufacturer Blackburne before marketing machines under its own name from 1920. OEC also made its own engines under the 'Atlanta' name but mainly relied on proprietary power units, mostly from Blackburne during the 1920s. As well as the patented duplex steering, introduced in 1927, the firm offered rear springing from 1929. An option at first, this looked like a 'plunger' arrangement but in fact used a pivoted fork. By the late 1930s the rear springing was standard and the duplex steering optional. Blackburne, JAP and Matchless engines were used in the early/mid-1930s, then AJS engines from early 1937 onwards. There were also some Villiers-engined lightweights.
FC 4376 is listed in the VMCCs Register of Machines as a 1,100cc (10hp) model though we have not been able to verify this. The 8hp (1,000cc) twin was virtually identical apart from the engines shorter stroke (88mm as opposed to the 10hps 96.8) and was all of £2 cheaper than its larger sibling. Both were available as a complete motorcycle combination at extra cost.
An older restoration to original specification, even retaining the front wheels contracting band brake, the OEC was purchased by the current vendor from a European private collection in 2002 and was in running condition at that time. Serviced when purchased but not run subsequently, it has been on display at the Hockenheim Museum since acquisition. The accompanying old-style V5 document records the owner from 1st May 1980 as one Brian Thompson of Blackrod, Bolton. An ideal mount for the 2014 Banbury Run and other Vintage events.