1966 Yamaha 246cc YDS3
Frame no. Y23-31847
Engine no. D9-31847
Founded in 1888 to manufacture musical instruments, Yamaha did not make its first motorcycle until 1955. That first Yamaha was a development of one of the most influential designs of the late 1930s - the DKW RT125, which also inspired the BSA Bantam - but its next offering, the YD1 250cc twin, was an entirely Yamaha design. The YD2's arrival in 1959 marked an important development for Yamaha's 250 twin, which now featured an entirely new engine, with crankshaft mounted clutch. At the same time, Yamaha's engineers began work on a sports version. Designated 'YDS1', this stylish newcomer featured a tubular cradle frame modelled on that of the successful Asama racers and a short-stroke (56x50mm) version of the YD2 engine equipped with twin carburettors. There were five speeds in the gearbox for the first time on a production motorcycle. Introduced in 1962, the YDS2 represented an evolution of the YDS1 rather than an entirely new model. Not so the successor YDS3, which was a new design in almost every respect and notable as the first Yamaha twin to feature 'Autolube' automatic lubrication by means of a gearbox-driven pump. Stylish and fast, the YDS3 was an enormous success, continuing Yamaha's reputation for offering more performance for the money than any of its rivals. Anyone who has ever owned and ridden one will attest that no other 250cc model came close to the performance offered by this great quarter-litre classic.
A matching-numbers example, this YDS3 is highly original and complete and thus an ideal candidate for full restoration (the engine turns over freely). The machine is offered with copies of Dutch registration documents. A total of 11,335 kilometres (approximately 7,000 miles) is displayed on the odometer. No reserve.