Property of a deceased's estate
c.1963 Ariel 247cc Leader
Registration no. 4448 LG
Frame no. T32308/B
Engine no. T32308/B
Launched in 1958, the Ariel Leader and its sports derivative, the Arrow, sought to combine the virtues of speed and agility with those of cleanliness and convenience. The Leader was powered by an all-new 247cc air-cooled two-stroke twin with unit gearbox, and also broke with tradition in employing a fabricated steel beam frame instead of tubes, and a trailing-link front fork. Detachable enclosure panels extended forwards to meet the leg-shields and screen while the rear chain was fully enclosed. A highly promising design capable of further development, the Leader/Arrow deserved better than to be prematurely axed by BSA in 1965. The late owner's son can remember his father starting this Leader back in the 1960s, and the machine is believed to have remained unused since that time. Partly restored and with various bodywork parts detached, it is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. Apart from a workshop manual there are no documents with this Lot, which is offered without reserve.