Property of a deceased's estate
1955 Panther 250cc Model 65
Registration no. UTF 123
Frame no. F9839
Engine no. 55JS289B
Panther first used vertical power units in 1948 for its 250cc and 350cc trials models, which unlike the firm's traditional, large-capacity roadsters eschewed the stressed-member, sloping-engine layout in favour of a conventional tubular frame, an arrangement adopted by the equivalent roadsters in 1949. The overhead-valve engine contained its dry-sump oil tank within the crankcase in Panther's traditional fashion and was unusual in employing plain bush main bearings. A Dowty Oleomatic front fork was fitted and the Models 65 (250) and 75 (350) retained a rigid frame. For 1953 there was a new swinging-arm frame and a conventional telescopic fork, and in this form the smaller Panthers lasted until the early 1960s, the company's representation in the lightweight category being exclusively Villiers-powered thereafter. First registered by King's Motors of Oxford, this partially restored Panther 65 comes with its original logbook listing five further owners up to 1960. It is not known when it was last used. Sold strictly as viewed.