Single family ownership since 1926
1921 Velocette 220cc Model DL2
Registration no. ES 4063
Frame no. 873
Engine no. 84321
The first 'Velocette' was a two-stroke, so called to differentiate it from the larger, four-stroke 'Veloce' model. Designed by Percy Goodman, the first Velocette 'stroker' of 1913 was powered by a 206cc engine of advanced design, incorporating a desaxé (offset) cylinder and patented automatic lubrication system that drew oil from a crankcase compartment by means of exhaust pressure. Two-speed and ladies' models were added to the range for 1914 and then in 1915 the engine was revised and enlarged to 220cc. The next revisions to the engine occurred late in 1919 with the introduction of the restyled D2 and DL2 models, which also featured new frames and lightweight Brampton forks while retaining the existing dog clutch transmission.
First registered in 1921, this early Velocette ladies' model has resided in the Perthshire area of Scotland all its life and was purchased by the vendor's father in 1926. It was used by his mother from 1928 and by the vendor himself to pass the motorcycle driving test in 1950! We are advised that the machine was last on the road in 1951. Restored in 2004, 'ES 7043' has been shown at various classic vehicle events, winning 1st and 2nd place awards, but has not been ridden on the road. The machine comes with an original Velocette instruction book and tool kit, and an old-style continuation logbook issued in 1925. We understand that a Swansea V5C registration document has been applied for.
- The Frame no. is 893. We are in receipt of a V5C for the lot.