1972 Laverda 750SFC Production Racing Motorcycle
Registration no. MO 121325 (Italy)
Frame no. 750.C.8333
Engine no. 750.8333
'Thus impetuously and unquestionably, the 750 Laverda took its rightful place among the élite of the world's motor cycles. Designed as a highway express, and proven in the most punishing of long-distance races, it was fast, tireless and very well behaved, a machine of connoisseur quality.' - L J K Setright, On Two Wheels.
Founded in 1873, Laverda started out making farm machinery, only turning to motorcycle manufacture in the immediate aftermath of WW2. Its first product, the 75cc Motoleggera (lightweight motorcycle) helped meet the unprecedented upsurge in demand for basic motorised transport, and modified versions were soon winning their class in the long-distance road races popular at the time. Lightweights, scooters and mopeds continued to form the mainstay of Laverda production up to the late 1960s when the small Italian concern, hitherto little known outside its home country, astonished the motorcycling world by introducing a 650cc parallel twin. Launched in 1968, the latter was a controversial design, appearing to have been closely based on the Honda CB72 and CB77 twins. After fewer than 100 had been made the engine was taken out to 750cc and a team of 650 and 750 Laverdas duly walked away with the 1968 Giro d'Italia. That first 750GT touring model spawned the 750SF sportster in 1971. 'SF' stood for Syper Freni (super brakes) and marked a switch from Grimeca stoppers to Laverda's own superior drum brakes. Introduced at the same time was the 750SFC - Super Freni Competizione - a thinly disguised racer that soon came to dominate the endurance races of the day. Built in strictly limited numbers - only 549 were produced in five batches between 1971 and 1976 - the 750SFC production racer is today one of the most collectible of Laverda's early twins and thus highly sought after.
The matching-numbers 750SFC we offer was manufactured in February 1972 and in June 1973 was registered in Rovigo, Italy to one Enzo Della Mora, living in Porto Tolle. In August 1973 the Laverda was registered in Modena to the next owner, Gian Franco Seghedoni. Successive owners (in order) were Egidio Bonfatti (Modena), Fausto Zironi (Nonantola), Renato Colabucci (Gaeta) and then Michele Rossi of Fermo, who acquired it on 4th June 1980. Rossi raced the SFC several times in the 1979 and 1980 Italian TT1 Championship for which it was updated and fitted with disc brakes. In 1980 he entered the Laverda in the Misano 1000, a round of the World Endurance Championship.
Rossi sold the SFC in January 1981 to Massimo Aurelio Nobili of Milan, who in turn sold it on in January 1984 to Giancarlo Lazzarini, living in Rome. In December 1987 the machine was sold to the current owner and registered on Modena plate ('MO 121325'). Between 1990 and 1993 the 750SFC was restored to original specification, complete with drum brakes, and since completion has been used on only three occasions. Currently street legal, this iconic Italian production racer is offered with Italian registration papers/roadworthiness certificate (expired 31st March 2013).