1969 Ducati 486cc Grand Prix Racing Motorcycle
Frame no. 450/461298
Engine no. 451521
Designed by Fabio Taglioni, the first Ducati overhead-camshaft single appeared in 1955. Desmodromic valve operation was a feature of the racing versions and would later be applied to the sports roadsters in 1968. The previous year the road-going single had undergone a major redesign, emerging as the 'wide case' Mark 3, readily distinguishable from its 'narrow case' predecessor by virtue of a wider rear crankcase mounting. The range was augmented by a '450' (436cc) model the following year. Although Ducati only contested the World Championship Grands Prix with a full works effort during the late 1950s, it did race production-based machinery in a limited way thereafter, though this activity was pursued more with development in mind than as a means of garnering publicity. Nevertheless, there were some notable successes, particularly in the Barcelona 24-Hour endurance classic. In the early 1970s Bruno Spaggiari campaigned a works '500' single in national championship races and in 1972 finished 3rd in the Italian Grand Prix, his only World Championship start that season, behind the MV Agustas of Agostini and Pagani. Today, Ducati's charismatic singles enjoy an enthusiastic following in classic racing.
Based on a '450' roadster, this machine was restored towards the end of 2012 and is described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition. Noteworthy features include a big-bore cylinder (for a capacity of 486cc), large valves, Ceriani forks and shock absorbers, and a double-sided 4LS front brake.
- The Engine no. is DM450 451521