1939 Norton 490cc ES2
Registration no. ABW 410
Frame no. 94432
Engine no. 87751
Introduced at the 1927 Motor Cycle Show, the ES2 sports roadster used the Model 18's overhead-valve engine in the cradle frame of the overhead-camshaft CS1, and from then onwards the 'ES2' designation was always applied to Norton's top-of-the-range overhead-valve single. The ES2 was built in several versions during a production run lasting until 1963, though the engine dimensions of 79x100mm bore/stroke - first adopted by James Lansdowne Norton in 1911 - remained unchanged to the end. Post-war developments included the adoption of an alloy cylinder head (1955), alternator (1959) and the slim-line version of the Featherbed frame introduced on the single-cylinder range for 1961. Production of all of Norton's traditional singles ended in 1963, though the 'ES2' designation was later applied to a re-badged Matchless.
First registered in 1939, this example comes with an old-style continuation logbook (issued 1963) listing three owners in the Didcot area commencing 1949. The last of these is the current owner, who acquired the Norton in 1976, by which time Didcot had been 'transferred' from Berkshire to Oxfordshire. We are advised that 'ABW 410' has seen only occasional use since acquisition, remaining in the garage since the last MoT expired in 1998. Offered for re-commissioning/restoration and sold strictly as viewed, the machine is offered with the aforementioned logbook, sundry invoices and three expired MoT certificates.