Property of a deceased's estate
c.1952 Horex 342cc Regina (see text)
Frame no. Frame no. 064333554
Horex was founded in Bad Homburg, Germany in 1924 by the Kleeman family. Its first model used an engine supplied by the Columbus company in which the Kleemans had a stake. Early models sold well and were raced successfully, and by the mid-1930s Horex had risen to be one of Germany's foremost manufacturers. Its factory having escaped Allied bombing, Horex was soon back in production after WW2 with the Regina, which was powered by a 342cc overhead-valve, twin-port, long-stroke single that enclosed the pushrods in a narrow tube, giving the unit an 'overhead-cam' appearance. The 'semi-unit' engine/gearbox served as a structural element of the frame and there was state-of-the-art suspension at both ends: by means of telescopic forks at the front and plunger springing at the rear. A more powerful version, the Regina Sport, was introduced for 1952 featuring an alloy cylinder head with single exhaust port among other, more minor updates. An alloy head was also adopted for the standard Regina, though twin exhaust ports were retained. Variants of 250cc and 400cc followed before the Regina was dropped from the range in 1955 in favour of the new Resident model.
Believed to be either a '350' or a '400', but most likely the former, this incomplete Horex Regina was acquired by the vendor's late father in the 1960s as a restoration project. Kept in dry storage ever since, it remains in almost exactly the same condition as when purchased. There are no documents with this Lot, which is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. No reserve.