1967 Triton 650cc 'Café Racer'
Registration no. XJH 120E
Frame no. M14 7410
Engine no. TR6R D13468
A happy marriage of Triumph power and Norton roadholding, the Triton is rightly regarded by enthusiasts as the quintessential British sports special. Dave Degens, proprietor of Dresda Autos, was one of the first special-builders to put the Triton into what might be termed 'limited production' and today this charismatic hybrid enjoys marque status. This example was purchased by the current vendor in the mid-1990s. Its major components consist of a Norton Dominator 99 'Featherbed' frame dating from circa 1957, a Triumph 650cc Trophy engine built in 1961 and a Triumph 'Slickshift' gearbox. Other noteworthy features include an alloy cylinder head, twin Amal Concentric carburettors, alloy wheel rims, twin-leading-shoe front brake, 'bacon slicer' brake cooling discs, 'racing' fuel tank, central oil tank, clip-on handlebars, rear-set footrests, swept-back exhaust pipes, Gold Star-type silencers and a rev counter.
The Triton appears to have been constructed in its present form circa 1994 by the previous registered keeper, James Dean of South Oxhey, Hertfordshire, who had acquired it in 1991. A detailed summary of the machine's specification and various invoices relating to its construction, including one for a full engine and gearbox rebuild issued by High Gear of Wimbledon, are contained within the history file, close inspection of which is recommended. 'XJH 120E' also comes with starting instructions, wiring diagram, Swansea V5 document, an old MoT (expired July 1995) and a quantity of Triton-related literature. A total of only 359 miles is currently displayed on the odometer.