c.1955 Triumph 498cc Tiger T100
Registration no. OLA 256
Frame no. 48929
Engine no. T100 03549
The Tiger 100 sports version of Edward Turner's trend-setting Speed Twin was launched in 1938, reappearing in 1946 with telescopic forks in place of the original girders, and separate dynamo and magneto instead of the pre-war version's magdyno. An alloy cylinder head and barrel were adopted for 1951, these and other engine improvements boosting power to 32bhp, while a swinging-arm frame and 8"-diameter front brake (first seen on the 650cc Tiger 110) were fitted from 1954 onwards. A splayed-port cylinder head with twin carburettors became available from the start of the 1957 model year, and this would represent the ultimate development of the Tiger 100, which in mid-1959 was replaced by the new, unitary construction Tiger 100A.
This example was purchased by the vendor in 1997 from previous owner Steve Brown (receipt on file) and comes with numerous invoices for parts and maintenance accrued during Mr Brown's ownership. The remainder of the accompanying documentation consists of an old-style Swansea V5, copy previous V5 and two old MoTs, the most recent of which expired in August 1999.