Offered from the Fabergé Museum in Baden-Baden, Germany
1962 NSU 247cc Supermax
Frame no. 1844456
Engine no. 3238068
Another motorcycle manufacturer with its roots in the bicycle industry, NSU built its first powered two-wheeler in 1900 and went on to produce some outstanding and influential designs in the 1950s, foremost of which was the 250cc Max, introduced in 1952. The Max used a pressed-steel frame that entirely enclosed the rear suspension, and a leading-link front fork, but its most unusual feature was the Albert Roder-designed 'Ultramax' connecting-link drive for the single overhead camshaft. A luxury tourer, the Max was no lightweight so acceleration was leisurely, but once at its maximum of 75-80mph, could be cruised there all day with the minimum of fuss. The ultimate version, the Supermax, appeared in 1956 boasting conventional twin-shock rear suspension and a slightly more powerful engine. What hadn't changed though, was the exemplary standard of reliability, build quality and finish that had characterised the Max line from the start. Production of the Supermax, along with that of all other NSU motorcycles, ceased in 1963. Original, un-restored and showing obvious signs of use, this late-model Supermax would reward sympathetic restoration. The machine was purchased at Bonhams' sale of the Richard C Paine Jr Collection at Owls Head, Maine in September 2008 (Lot 803) and since acquisition has formed part of the Fabergé Museum collection in Germany. There are no documents with this Lot.