Offered from the Fabergé Museum in Baden-Baden, Germany
1962 BMW 247cc R27
Frame no. 376334
Built to the same exemplary standards as the Bavarian company's famous horizontally-opposed twins, the single-cylinder BMW first appeared in pre-war days and by 1956 had evolved into the R26. In what would turn out to be its penultimate form, BMW's quarter-litre luxury lightweight boasted a more powerful engine than its R25 predecessor, an Earles-type leading-link front fork and a larger fuel tank among numerous improvements. The range's final development - the R27 - arrived in 1960 substantially unchanged but for the adoption of a rubber-mounted engine. Considerably more expensive than most other 250s, the BMW was a relative rarity outside Germany, appealing to mature, discerning riders for whom quality of construction counted more than mere outright performance. Equipped with twin Denfeld saddles, luggage carrier and Craven glassfibre panniers, this original and un-restored R27 shows signs of use commensurate with the recorded mileage. The machine was purchased at Bonhams' sale of the Richard C Paine Jr Collection at Owls Head, Maine in September 2008 (Lot 821) and since acquisition has formed part of the Fabergé Museum collection in Germany. There are no documents with this Lot.