Property of the late Jim Sandiford; 655 kilometres from new
1983 Montesa 175cc Impala 2
Registration no. ERJ 467Y
Frame no. 04M20912
Engine no. 04M20912
Montesa was founded in the mid-1940s in Barcelona by Pedro Permanyer and Francisco Bulto. When cutbacks forced the closure of Montesa's competitions department in 1958, Bulto left the company to found Bultaco, but before then his engineering genius had bequeathed Montesa a range of popular two-stroke roadsters. The company first entered road racing in the late 1940s with a successful 98cc single, which was followed by a 125, and in 1946 Montesa won both the 100cc and 125cc Spanish national championships. Successful forays into international Grand Prix racing in the 125cc class followed. Stung by the success of Bultaco, Montesa returned to competitions in the late 1960s but from that point onwards its major impact on motorcycle sport would be away from the tarmac the Scorpion and Cappra moto-crossers and the Cota trials being the equal of any of their contemporaries. Although the factory took little further interest in road racing, its Impala sports roadster, suitably modified, was a popular choice for privateers in the 250 class.
Jim Sandiford set up a dedicated Montesa import business in the late 1970s and the company continues to supply parts for the Spanish make today. Possibly a gift from Montesa, this Impala 2 was used occasionally by Jim and has covered only 655 kilometres from new. Kept by the Sandiford family and maintained and run every 3-4 months, the machine is described as in generally excellent condition and offered with an expired MoT and Swansea V5.