Property of a deceased's estate
1965 Ariel 247cc Leader
Registration no. EDG 42C
Engine no. T34230-B
Launched in 1958, the Ariel Leader and its sports derivative, the Arrow, sought to combine the virtues of speed and agility with those of cleanliness and convenience. The Leader was powered by an all-new 247cc air-cooled two-stroke twin with unit gearbox, and also broke with tradition in employing a fabricated steel beam frame instead of tubes, and a trailing-link front fork. Detachable enclosure panels extended forwards to meet the leg-shields and screen while the rear chain was fully enclosed. A highly promising design capable of further development, the Leader/Arrow deserved better than to be prematurely axed by BSA in 1965. This un-restored and highly original Leader comes with all optional extras: panniers, bumper bar, indicators, parking light, 8-day clock, rear carrier and side stand; only the screen is non-original. Last MoT'd to 2008 and subsequently SORN'd, 'EDG 42C' is offered with expired MoTs (x2), SORNs and Swansea V5/V5C documents.