1914 Wolf 269cc Model B
Registration no. BF 5681
Frame no. 12965
Engine no. 1515
One of countless marques originating in Wolverhampton, Wolf was closely linked with Wulfruna, Wearwell and Stevens. In 1910, the successful collaboration between Wearwell and Stevens was abruptly terminated by the formers collapse after an accountancy fraud was revealed. Nevertheless, Managing Director William Clarke was determined to resume production and purchased another manufacturer, Wulfruna Cycles, in 1911. New premises were acquired in Brickkiln Street and Wolf motorcycles reintroduced alongside Wulfruna-badged models. The company concentrated on its Wolf brand name from the early 1920s onwards, changing ownership and relocating to Colliery Road in 1928, and continued in production until 1939.
Britains Lightest, Best & Cheapest Motorcycles, Wolf relied exclusively on proprietary engines and the example offered here is powered by the ubiquitous 269cc Villiers. Dating from 1914, the latter is not original to the machine, which may have started life with a 2½hp JAP engine (Bonhams sold a JAP-powered Model B in October 2005). Circa 2005 the Wolf was undergoing restoration by VMCC member Mr David E Lowe, who died before the rebuild was finished, and subsequently passed to the current owner. Benefiting from recent repainting and re-plating as required, BF 5681 comes with Sunbeam MCC Pioneer Certificate, VMCC dating certificate, expired MoT (2012), current road fund licence and Swansea V5C document. An opportunity to acquire an ultra-rare piece of Wolverhamptons motorcycling heritage.