1928 Triumph 277cc Model W Deluxe
Registration no. SV 7057
Frame no. 614180
Engine no. 4047071MT
While the mainstay of Triumph's range throughout the mid-to-late 1920s was the ubiquitous 3½hp Model P and its many derivatives, there were some interesting offerings in other capacities. The little two-stroke Junior had gone in 1925 but before then it had been joined by the LS, an advanced 350cc sidevalve of unitary construction. Sales of the latter were sluggish however, prompting a switch from such expensive products to simpler and cheaper alternatives. The first of these was the Model P, which arrived in 1925, and the second the 277cc Model W, which was as big an engine as Triumph could build while keeping the resulting machine within the favourable taxation class that limited weight to 220lbs. Introduced for 1927, the Model W changed little for the next couple of years, becoming the WS in 1930 when it adopted the fashionable saddle tank, and was dropped when the 1931 range was announced.
This Model W was purchased by the current vendor in May 1998 and used on various VMCC events up to 2002, including the Festival of 1000 Bikes and Banbury Run. Dry stored between 2002 and 2011, 'SV 7057' was re-commissioned in 2012 and is MoT'd to 11th November 2013 and taxed to the end of October. Representing an ideal opportunity to acquire an affordable entry-level Banbury bike, the machine is offered with (copy) instruction book and Swansea V5C.