by S.Roberts, Smith & Co., Sheffield 1840 With a shell and scroll border, floral, shell and scroll chased field surrounding an armorial, raised on four scroll feet, diameter 54cm, weight 124oz.
The armorial is for the Scottish name of MITCHELL.
William Mitchell inherited property in 1840 from a close relative, Miss Jane Innes of Stow, and changed his surname to Mitchell-Innes. He had married Christian Shairp in 1810 and was Chief Cashier of the Royal Bank of Scotland from 1808 to 1827. He subsequently he acquired the Ayton estate and in 1851 commissioned James Gillespie Graham to build a new castle at Ayton in the Scottish Baronial style in red sandstone.
The underside scratched "C.E. MILNTOWN IOM TEL 0624 ******"