The original St. Andrews Putting Club minutes book
1925 to the 1960s, comprising hand written notes and news paper cuttings. Unique.
Following a meeting in the Templar Hall in St. Andrews 'amongst interested parties' the St. Andrews Putting Club was established in May 1925 with its first Captain being Mr. Fred Foxon, Vice Captain Miss Mary A. Kirkaldy and Hon. Secretary John Forgan. Members paid an annual subscription of 2/6d.
The home course was the putting green on the Bruce Embankment. Medal finalists competed for the Rose Bowl, Warrack Clock competition confined to the lady members of the St. Andrews Putting Club , Championship Cups and monthly medals and home and away matches...score cards and prize vouchers were designed and printed
Local putting clubs such as the Bonvil Putting Club in Cupar were 'asked to come to St. Andrews where they would be entertained to tea etc after playing.' Ladies' singles, gentlemens' singles and mixed foursomes were played. Return matches were played at the Duffus Park in Cupar followed by a whist drive and dance. Other local clubs included the Ladies Putting Links Club, the Kemback Club, Kinburn Putting Green, East bents Putting Club, Bruce Embankment Putting Club and the Dairsie Putting Club.
Monthly medal competitions were run...with each section getting a prize of a new golf ball and the overall winner a medal to keep for a year; entrance fee 3/d.
At a meeting on 22 April 1927 'it was decided after some discussion to let the holders of the Championship Cups (Lady & Gent) keep them and to get a price for a new pair value about £5 each...'
1927 Championship Cups awarded to Mrs. D.F. Melville and Mr. D.L. Gourlay.
16 September 1933: 'Four enthusiastic members of the St. Andrews putting Club were so late in finishing a four-ball match on the Bruce Embankment Putting Green on Thursday night that one of the other members illuminated the last three holes with the aid of a paraffin lamp.'
1938 Secretary's report: 'The total paid membership was 98 a slight increase on previous years...'
1940: A sum of £5 1s 1 d was raised by the competition held at the Bruce Embankment for the Red Cross Society....
29 July 1942: 'A putting competition for the allied forces organized by the St Andrews putting Club took place...
28 June 1945: A Victory competition including putting and target ladder and clock golf has been run by the St. Andrews putting club at the Bruce Embankment...sum raised amounted to £19.0.9d and donations have been sent to St. Andrews District Nursing Association...'