Of Rochdale Theatre interest; A George III silver theatre ticket
unmarked, circa 1794 Inscribed "Theatre Rochdale No.2" with a bright-cut border, the reverse engraved "Mr Hamer" with oak leaves, 5 x 3.5cm.
The Rochdale Theatre on Toad Lane was granted a two year lease on the 1st November 1794 with 11 subscribers, John Hamer being the second on the list. It was a vacant Wesleyan chapel and was demolished in 1865.
Mr. John Hamer Esq., d. 1806, was an attorney in Rochdale, he lived in a property called the Wood that was eventually pulled down and is now the site of the Town Hall.
With thanks to the Local Studies Staff at the Rochdale Link4Life