A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club
Lot 164
A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club
Sold for £2,875 (US$ 4,809) inc. premium
Auction Details
Sports Memorabilia Chester
20 Feb 2013 11:00 GMT

Auction 21119
A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club
Lot Details
A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club
A late Victorian presentation axe, Thames Iron Works Federated Clubs - West Ham Football Club
A silver ceremonial axe, with silver banding/edging to the handle, the axe head with the motto "AUDAX ATQUE FIDELIS" (bold and faithful), engraved to the blade 'PRESENTED TO MRS ARNOLD F.HILLS By the THAMES IRON WORKS FEDERATED CLUBS ON THE OCCASION OF THE OPENING OF THE NEW CYCLE & ATHLETIC GROUNDS CANNING TOWN SATURDAY JUNE 19th 1897', hallmarked, complete with original Mappin & Webb velvet lined presentation case. Approx. 30cm length.

Footnotes

  • The Thames Iron Works Co.Ltd. was a major shipbuilder, situated at the mouth of the River Lea in East London. The Thames Iron Works Football Club was founded by the Company's owner Mr Arnold Hills in 1895 and initially played at the Hermit Road ground in Canning Town, vacated by the defunct Castle Swifts FC. When evicted in October a year later, for enclosing the site and charging admission, they moved briefly to a temporary site before Hills secured a large site in Canning Town, close to where West Ham station now stands. Opened in Jubilee Year, they were named the Memorial Grounds and housed not only a football pitch but athletic and cycle tracks. Commentators stated that the grounds were fit to stage the Cup Final. Thames Iron Works FC were officially wound up in June 1900 and reformed as West Ham FC in July of the same year. West Ham continued to play at the stadium until they moved to the Boleyn Ground in 1904.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Customer Services (UK)
    Customer Services
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +44 20 7447 7447
    FaxFax: +44 20 7447 7401
  2. Sports Memorabilia (UK)
    General Enquiries
    Bonhams
    Work
    FaxFax: +44 1244 340028
  3. Shipping (UK)
    Logistics - Shipping
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +44 20 7468 8302
    FaxFax: + 44 20 7629 9673
  4. Kevin Mcgimpsey
    Specialist - Golfing Memorabilia
    Bonhams
    Work
    22 Queen St
    Edinburgh, EH2 1JX
    United Kingdom
    Work +44 131 240 2296
    FaxFax: +44 131 220 2547