Two Victorian copper jelly ring moulds, one by Benham & Froud, the other by Benhanm & Sons
Lot 120
Two Victorian copper jelly ring moulds, one by Benham & Froud, the other by Benhanm & Sons
Sold for £250 (US$ 420) inc. premium
Auction Details
The Oak Interior Chester
17 Jan 2013 11:00 GMT

Auction 21094
Lot Details
Two Victorian copper jelly ring moulds, one by Benham & Froud, the other by Benhanm & Sons
The first of circular spiral-fluted or lobed form, marked with the orb and cross mark for Benham & Froud, and numbered 464, 14.5cm diameter x 5cm high, the second of plain circular form, engraved with 'Benham & Sons' within a belt engraved 'Wigmore St., London', un-numbered, 13cm diameter x 5.5cm high, (2)

Footnotes

  • Benham & Froud were the successors to the Kepp firm of coppersmiths, established in 1785 by John Kepp in Chandos Street, London. Around 1818, the company was in the names of Richard and Edward Kepp. In 1821, they made the replacement orb and cross for St. Paul's Cathedral; 23ft high and weighing seven tons. The orb and cross trademark was used from 1855 to 1924. In 1855, the company was taken over by Herbert Augustus Benham, Joseph Froud and four others, becoming known as Benham & Froud. In 1906 it was reformed as Herbert Benham & Co. in Marlborough Mews, Great Marlborough Street London W., moving to Ramillies Place, London in 1920 and not found in directories after 1924.

    Benham & Sons was first established by John Lee Benham as a furnishing ironmonger at No. 1 Edward Street, Portman Square in 1817. His main interests were gas light fittings and the production of various types of baths. In 1824, he expanded the business by purchasing No. 19 Wigmore Street, the former London residence of the Bishop of Chichester. Gradually the business became more focused on cooking equipment and less on baths and light fittings. The firm's premises had expanded to include Numbers 50, 52, 54 Wigmore Street, with a factory at No. 66 Wigmore Street. In 1872, Benham's sons — William, James and Frederick — joined the company, which took the name Benham & Sons Ltd. Shortly afterwards, a second factory was established in Manchester. The company participated in the International Exhibition of London 1851 and 1871, Paris 1867, and Vienna 1873, exhibiting a range of cooking apparatus for residential and commercial applications. In the 1880s, the firm had commissions for the furnishing and fitting of globe lighting and stoves for large institutions such as workhouses and infirmaries, as well as the refreshment rooms at Middlesbrough railway station. Further expansion occurred during the twentieth century with the acquisition of premises at 100 Garratt Lane, 307 Merton Road and 59 Standen Road, Wandsworth. During the Second World War, Benham's manufactured a variety of gun and munition parts.

    The relationship between Benham & Froud, and Benham & Sons of Wigmore Street, is unclear.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Megan Wheeler
    Specialist - Furniture
    Bonhams
    Work
    Banbury Road
    Oxford, OX5 1JH
    United Kingdom
    Work 01865 853668
    FaxFax: +44 1865 372 722