A collection of memorabilia and letters from Andrew and John Allison, fireman on the U.S.S. Arizona
the two brothers killed in action on December 7th 1941, including: a U.S.S. Arizona miniature life ring, sent to his family in Steele Missouri in early 1941 by one of the Allison brothers, the life ring marked in gold USS Ariz, and with the years '36 '37 '38 '39 '40 '41.
(3) autograph letters signed from Andrew Allison to family members; dated Norfolk Va, April 24th 1936, 1 pg; Washington State, Nov 12 1940 1 pg unsigned; Nov 25 1940 a.l.s. 2 pp.
(3) autograph letters signed from John Allison to family members, in ink and pencil, all Pearl Harbor, May 16th, May 26th and Oct 28th 1941, 3 pp, 1 pg, 2,pg.
(3) U.S.S. Arizona menus for the 4th July Dinner, 1937, Thanksgiving 1937, and 4th July Dinner, 1938.
(4) presidential citations to Andrew and John Allison with facsimile signatures of Presidents Johnson and Nixon; together with xeroxes of the telegraph messages that the family received, the medal applications, and the Purple Heart Citations.
6 in. (15.2 cm.) diameter of the life ring. (14)
- Please note that the letter from John Allison dated October 28, 1941 suggests a foreboding of the disaster to come... "although I denied it to the last, I really hated to come back this time from leave, just had a funny feeling, or maybe not so funny."