Documented with its original window sticker, freshly restored
1964 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
Chassis no. 40867S115686
Back in 1953, Chevrolet's launch of a two-seater sports car was a radical departure for a marque hitherto associated almost exclusively with sensible family transport. Based on the 1952 EX-122 show car, the Corvette made use of existing GM running gear and a shortened chassis frame, around which was wrapped striking Harley Earl-styled fiberglass coachwork. Motive power came from Chevrolet's 235.5cid overhead-valve straight six and, unusually for a sports car, there was automatic transmission, a feature that attracted much adverse criticism at the time.
Intended as competition for the T-Series MG, the Corvette cost way above the target figure, ending up in Jaguar XK120 territory but with an inferior performance. Sales were sluggish initially and the model came close to being axed, surviving thanks to Chevrolet's need to compete with Ford's Thunderbird. A V8 engine for 1955 and a radical re-style for '56 had consolidated the Vette's position in the market before arrival of the heavily revised 'Sting Ray' version.
Introduced for 1963, the Sting Ray sported a totally new ladder-type chassis and for the first time there was a Gran Turismo coupe in the range. As had been the case with the previous (1956-62) generation of Corvettes, development proceeded slowly, being characterized by annual facelifts and few engineering changes of note. On the latter front, the long-overdue arrival of four-wheel disc brakes was the most significant development for 1965, while Chevrolet's 327cid 250bhp standard V8 was joined by an optional 396cid Big Block for '65 only, then a '427' until the end of Sting Ray production in 1967. The 'Stingray', of course, continued and the Corvette would go on to become the world's best-selling and longest-lived sports car.
The numbers-matching '64 Convertible offered here was delivered new to the Bryne Brothers Chevrolet dealership in White Plains, New York, as documented on the original window sticker that still accompanies the car. Ordered in the Silver Blue over Blue vinyl combination it wears today, it came equipped with the L75 327cid, 300hp engine fitted to the optional M20 4-speed transmission. Power was delivered through a Positraction rear axle (RPO G81) and to the road by a set of whitewall 670X15 4-ply tires. In case the eight cylinder symphony up front wasn't enough, the optional U69 AM-FM Radio was also included. All up the first owner paid $4,654.85 for the privilege to have this fine automobile.
A complete, frame-off restoration by Corvette specialists RPM Restorations of North Canton, Ohio was completed in May of last year. Presented today with less than 25,000 believed-to-be-original miles and a color matched hardtop, the 'Vette includes its aforementioned original window sticker, a full compliment of restoration receipts documents its refurbishment along with photos of the restoration as it progressed. Coming from a large Midwestern estate, it is now ready to burn some rubber with the next owner.