1906 Autocar Type 10 Runabout
Chassis no. 7962
Engine no. 7978
2 Cylinder Side-valve Engine
3-Speed Manual Transmission
Front and Rear Leaf Spring Suspension
Rear Mechanical Brakes
*Handsome early Brass-era automobile
*Former A.A.C.A. Junior and Senior National First Prize Award Winner
*Formerly owned by famed collectors Dr. Samuel L. Scher and Richard C. Paine Jr.
*Offered from a Private European Museum collection
*Pioneering American motorcar
The Autocar Company
Established in 1897, the Autocar Company of Pennsylvania produced robust little cars powered by opposed two-cylinder engines. Autocars eschewed chain drive in favor of more durable shaft drive, adopting the System Panhard in 1902 with the introduction of the Type 6.
Autocar's product line expanded in 1905 with a four-cylinder model and later, a line of heavy duty trucks. The light two-cylinder Autocars were last cataloged in 1908 and by 1913, the company turned its full attention to trucks, establishing a reputation for rugged, durable haulers that excelled in urban industrial and delivery applications.
The Type 10 was the most successful Autocar, introduced in 1904 and continuing through 1906; well over 1,000 were built. Offered only with lightweight Runabout coachwork, they were reliable, practical and surprisingly advanced automobiles.
The Motorcar Offered
This Autocar was purchased in 2008 from the famed collection of Maine-based Richard C. Paine Jr., who had acquired it from another prominent collection, that of Dr. Samuel Scher of Mamaroneck, New York in 1967. Prior to Paine's acquisition, Dr. Scher had Gus Reuter restore the Autocar to showroom condition, resulting in Junior and Senior National First Prize awards in Antique Automobile Club of America competition as well as a Thompson Trophy.
It is equipped with right hand wheel steering, Gray & Davis acetylene headlights, Neverout kerosene sidelights, a Gray & Davis kerosene taillight and a trumpet bulb horn. The opposed two-cylinder engine has atmospheric intake valves. The cooling radiator is located in front of the front axle with its three-quarter elliptical leaf-springs, below the coal scuttle engine hood. The rear axle is suspended with semi-elliptical leaf springs and located by long trailing arms. The engine is a symphony of red painted iron and polished brass.
The car has worn well over the last 50 years, showing the gentle aging and patina from careful preservation in two Museum collections. Despite the age of its restoration it can be shown with pride and confidence, and in fact Reuter's restoration, and its excellent provenance in the collections of Dr. Sam Scher and Richard C. Paine, Jr. for essentially a half century will add immeasurably to its appeal.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit.