Property from The Estates of General Robert G. Fergusson (1911 - 2001) & Mrs. Charlotte Lawrence Fergusson (1913 - 2013), Pebble Beach, California
Charlotte Lawrence met her husband Robert G. Fergusson in Carmel. Robert had just graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and arrived at the Presidio of Monterey in September, 1936 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 11th Cavalry Regiment. They were married in November 1937.
The Fergusson's moved to San Francisco in late 1938, where Lieutenant Fergusson served as an Aide-de-Camp to the Commanding General, Pacific Coastal Frontier, until early 1941. Lieutenant Fergusson was then stationed at the headquarters of the Hawaiian Artillery - Seacoast and Anti-Aircraft at Fort De Russy, Waikiki, Hawaii. They remained there until after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, during which time Charlotte volunteered as a driver in the Red Cross Motor Corps. She was later evacuated back to California, where she rejoined her husband, now Major Fergusson, at Camp San Luis Obispo.
The Fergusson's lived where Robert's military career took them including Hawaii, Kansas, Virginia and Germany. During this period, they gave birth to their only child, Bobby, who attended West Point and the New Mexico Military Institute, but perished in combat in Vietnam. From 1967 to 1970, General Fergusson was the United States Commander of U.S. Forces in Berlin. Upon retirement from military service in 1970, General and Mrs. Fergusson moved to Los Angeles and then to Pebble Beach in 1975.
General Fergusson's decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, and the Purple Heart.
Charlotte Fergusson held memberships in Casa Abrego Club and Carmel-by-the-Sea Garden Club. She was also a member of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America, as well as a Lady in the International Order of Saint Hubert. Throughout her life, Charlotte enjoyed pursuing her interests in American and world history, art history and fine art collection, architecture, and interior design.
A pair of Nymphenburg porcelain blackamoor covered sweetmeat dishes
third quarter 20th century Each with impressed shield mark, numbered 173 and 174.
greatest height 5 3/4in