ALBANY & ULSTER COUNTIES.
COLDEN, ALEXANDER, Surveyor General, and WILLIAM COCKBURN, Surveyor. "B[oundary] between the Counties of Albany and Ulster, from the North of Sawyers Creek on Hudson River, West as the Needle Points, to the East Branch of the River Delaware...." Manuscript map, approx 168 x 35 cm, in pen and ink and wash, September 2, 1765. Linen-backed, a little toning and fading, rubbed with small losses, two larger patches of loss on eastern edge.
Wonderfully detailed manuscript map dating from the original boundary commission between these counties. The map specifies that "there is a well-marked line the whole way, piles of stones at every remarkable place where they could be had and are marked thus." About 50 individual trees on the boundary are identified, situated and in some cases drawn and the four "sworn chain-bearers" who walked the boundary are named. Present on this map are the communities of Kingston, Marbletown, Hurley, and farms as far east as that of "Great John Decon" at the 20th marker. A printed label on the verso states that the map was linen-backed in 1819.