AVEDON, RICHARD. 1923-2004.
1. Portraits. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1976.
2. Avedon: Photographs 1947-1977. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1978.
3. An Autobiography. New York: Random House, 1993.
4. Evidence: 1944-1994. New York: Random House, 1994.
5. Made in France. San Francisco: Fraenkel Gallery, 2001.
Together, 5 volumes. 4to to Folio. Original cloth. Some minor wear to boards, staining to jacket of No 1, chip to jacket of No 2, no jackets No 3 & 5, overall very good.
FIRST EDITIONS, AFFECTIONATELY INSCRIBED TO DOE AVEDON. Dorcas Marie Nowell [1925-2011], was a bookish bank clerk when Avedon met her, changed her name to "Doe" and launched her career as a fashion model and actress. The two married in 1944, and their story served as the inspiration for the 1957 Hepburn/Astaire musical Funny Face. Though the two were only married five years, they remained friends throughout their lives, as Avedon's inscriptions in the present volumes attest. Doe appears in three photographs in Evidence.
Books, Maps and Manuscripts
Auction terms and conditions