A Bernard Maybeck carved and tinted oak trestle table
for the Alma Schmidt Kennedy Studio, Berkeley, California, circa 1923 height 30 1/2in (775cm); length 52in (132cm); depth 35in (89cm)
The Alma Schmidt Kennedy studio for voice and concert performances was first constructed at 1537 Euclid Avenue, Berkeley in 1914. The Gothic structure incorporated a large stained glass window with Gothic tracery and railings molded with cusped roundels; the hall was joined to a two-story living unit under a cross-gabled roof, which was designed to make use of the dining and bedroom spaces of the living unit for overflow audience seating during public recitals. The studio was heavily damaged in the Berkeley fire of 1923, but was reconstructed in virtually the same form. The interior woodwork was in redwood, painted with blue, green and carmine highlights. A second living unit was added in the reconstruction at the eastern edge of the property, connected to the original building in a bridged passage.