1921 Daimler CK 22 Flat Bed Lorry Registration no. DM 3161 Chassis no. 3701 Engine no. 20975
The Vintage-era lorry offered here is an example of the Daimler CK 22 commercial vehicle chassis, which was manufactured in the early 1920s alongside the shorter wheelbase CJ 22. The chassis frame is of the flitch plate type (a wooden core sandwiched between two steel plates) while the engine is a 22hp, four-cylinder sleeve valve, its cylinders cast in pairs. There is a dynamo fitted to provide electrical power to the original and correct CAV head and side lamps (currently not wired up). A single oil lamp is provided for rear illumination. There is no electric start (handle only).
The Daimler's early history is not known, other than it was first registered in 1921 under another registration number. It is believed that the vehicle started life in commercial service as a charabanc or motor omnibus in the Rhyl area of Flintshire. The continuation logbook states that the Daimler was registered with its current number in 1928, at which time it was converted into its current flat bed lorry configuration, the chassis being shortened aft of the rear axle and the current wheels fitted (the originals were for solid tyres). It was used to carry goods and supplies at a market garden in Rhyl.
In the early 1930s the Daimler moved to Pwllheli, Gwynedd where it was owned by a local firm, Paragon Stores, and used to transport general supplies locally as well as long distance. It could also be fitted with an enclosed box to carry furniture when required. Sometime in the late 1930s the Daimler moved to a farm in Nefyn, Gwynedd where it was used to carry loads, particularly during harvest time. It remained there laid up, gradually deteriorating in the corner of a field, until 1963 when it was rescued and restored by the current owners.
Not fully undertaken until the 1990s, the restoration involved a full mechanical overhaul. The chassis has been returned to its original length and all the cab woodwork and panelling recreated, replicating the original bodywork, which was beyond repair and only suitable as patterns. All the metal trim has been retained and reused, and a new radiator core manufactured to original specification. Last used for a local show in 2008, the vehicle is in running order but will require gentle re-commissioning before returning to active use. Offered with Swansea V5C document.