Property of a deceased's estate 1959 Ford Consul MkII Saloon Project Registration no. VSK 142 Chassis no. 204E197387 Engine no. 204E197387
Launched at the 1950 Motor Show, Ford's Consul and Zephyr Six broke new ground for the Dagenham firm. Both models were of unitary construction and featured overhead-valve engines, three-speed synchromesh gearboxes and MacPherson strut independent front suspension. In the Ford tradition they were keenly priced: at £470 the Consul was roughly 8% cheaper than the rival Morris Oxford. The Autocar remarked that the newcomers combined 'typically Ford low-cost motoring with new luxury and performance.' Together with the Zodiac, the Consul and Zephyr were totally redesigned for 1956, emerging in Series II guise larger than before and benefiting from engines of increased displacement. Needless to say, these new engines were also more powerful, enabling overall gearing to be raised for more relaxed cruising, while the brakes were up-rated accordingly.
This Consul II currently displays a believed correct total of 88,930 miles on the odometer. The car was purchased by the lady vendor's late husband in 1995 and used briefly before being consigned to dry storage, where it has remained ever since. Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, 'VSK 142' comes with Swansea V5 registration document and is sold without reserve.