c.1944 Fordson Model N Tractor Project Chassis no. TBC Engine no. N96280
It was not until 1917 that Ford produced its first successful tractor, the Fordson Model F, an immensely influential design that remains one of the world's best-selling tractors, with almost three quarters of a million produced up to 1928. Production-line methods pioneered on the ubiquitous Model T enabled Ford to offer the Fordson F at a knocked-down price, forcing many smaller specialist tractor firms out of business. Facing a depressed market, Ford closed its US tractor plants in the mid/late 1920s and transferred production to Cork in Ireland and later to Dagenham in Essex. Ford's Irish and British plants were soon busy producing the Model F's replacement: the Model N, many of which were exported to the USA. The latter arrangement lasted until 1939 when production of Ford-badged tractors commenced in the USA. More powerful than the Model F it replaced, the Model N boasted 4.4-litre four-cylinder engine, high-tension ignition system, water pump and mudguards as standard equipment, with pneumatic tyres available as an extra cost option. It was produced at Dagenham between 1933 and 1945 when a mildly improved version the E27N, also known as the Fordson Major was introduced.
This Fordson Model N has been in the vendor's family's ownership for many years and was in regular use until approximately 10 years ago. The chassis is in good condition and the engine turns freely, though the transmission is stuck in gear. There are no documents with this Lot, which is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. No reserve.