1944 Royal Enfield 346cc Model CO Project
Frame no. M20777
Engine no. 20777 (see text)
In 1936 Royal Enfield began introducing a revised range featuring vertical engines, the first of which were the overhead-valve models G (350cc) and J (500cc). Later in the year the line-up expanded to include the basically similar 250cc overhead-valve S2 and 350cc sidevalve Model C. In 1940 the WD (War Department) military Model C commenced delivery to UK armed forces and approximately 17,600 had been produced before the model was superseded by the overhead-valve WD/CO in 1942. By the wars end more than 29,000 WD/C and WD/CO models had been supplied to Allied forces, some 2,800-or-so going to the RAF. This incomplete Royal Enfield is an ex-WD machine that was returned to the factory and subsequently re-despatched in civilian trim to Saunders of Worcester in December 1947. The Royal Enfield Owners Club has confirmed that the engine has since been replaced and re-stamped with original number. There are no documents with this Lot, which is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. No reserve.