1902 Renault Type G Series A 6hp Rear-entrance Tonneau Registration no. LC 2690 Chassis no. 09 Engine no. 6808
Louis Renault was a pioneer in automobile design in the French motor industry, building his first car as early as 1898, mounting a De Dion Bouton engine on the front of a primitive tubular frame. Ever the innovator, he broke from traditional design by featuring a sprung live rear axle, a feature soon to be copied by his contemporaries. With substantial financial backing production began at Billancourt of 1 3/4hp and 3hp cars, with 4 1/2hp cars appearing in 1900 and by 1902 the single-cylinder cars were built in 6hp and 8hp versions alongside a 10hp twin. 1902 was of course the year in which Marcel Renault drove to a remarkable victory in the Paris - Vienna Race aboard the 16hp car, achieving acclaim and recognition worldwide for Renault products.
For the Type G Series A of 1902 Renault adopted the highly efficient 6 hp De Dion Bouton engine, with atmospheric inlet valve and mechanical exhaust valve. Cooling, in Renault tradition, was by twin side mounted radiators. Driving was simplicity itself with a three speed and reverse gearbox operated by side lever, with hand controls for ignition and fuel delivery settings. Interestingly correspondence from Club des Amateurs d'Anciennes Renault in 1997 indicates that at that time this was the only Type G Series A car on their records.
This highly original car, from just two family ownerships in the last 60 years, was acquired by the late Dick Collinson in the 1950s and participated regularly in the London to Brighton Run between 1952 and 1985 during that family ownership, achieving complete runs on all but two starts. It was also actively campaigned during those years in Holland, Normandy and France, taking part also in the 75th Anniversary Celebrations of the 1902 Paris - Vienna Race in 1977. Following the death of Dick Collinson the car was sold in 1993, joining then a private museum collection where it has remained since. In 1997 the new owners reported as follows on the De Dion engine: 'we dismantled it, made a new piston, bored the block, the flywheels were out of balance and the crank pin did not line up........ the vibration was terrible. It is now up and running, very smooth and 25mph on the flat, now a superb car.' Since then the car has seen very little use and was last taxed to April 2001. The usual careful recommissioning is recommended.
The car carries attractive and original four-seater rear-entrance coachwork bearing the builder's plate of W.T.Edwards, Ashford, Kent, and the supplier's plate of Roadway Autocar Co. Ltd., London, Sole Agents for Renault Freres. The car is presented in green livery with buttoned brown leather upholstery which may well be the original or perhaps expertly replaced in the early 1950s. The upholstery is worthy of careful localised repair and conservation. Driving equipment includes a Jones 0-30mph speedometer, a brass double twist bulb horn and splendid Lanternes Ducellier oil sidelamps. LC 2690 was dated 1902 by The Veteran Car Club of Great Britain in 1997 and awarded Certificate no. 2183 which comes with the car, along with an interesting correspondence file and current and earlier British registration documents. This car is eminently suitable and eligible for events of The Veteran Car Club of Great Britain, Renault Freres, and, being De Dion Bouton-engined, the events of The De Dion Bouton Club UK, as well as The Royal Automobile Club's prestigious London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.