Originally registered 'AYM 787', this Lagonda Rapier started life as a fixed-head coupé bodied by Abbott of Farnham, this being the most popular body style fitted to the model in 1934. The car was delivered to Lagonda's main agent in London, Warwick Wright, on 7th June 1934 and is believed to have been registered on the same day. London registration records did not survive the Blitz and Warwick Wright's sales records no longer exist, so there is no information about the Rapier's owners or history pre-WW2. This car is listed on page 18 of the 2011 Register of Lagonda Rapier Members and Cars.
In 1958, Lt Peter R Walwyn joined the Rapier Register - member number '276'. His home address was in Cheshire but he was serving at the Royal Naval Air Station at Yeovilton in Somerset at that time. Lt Walwyn rebuilt the Rapier as a two-seater with a replacement chassis sourced from Rubery Owen (the company who had built the original Rapier chassis). He fitted hydraulic Girling brakes, lowered the radiator and made the new body himself. Four Amal carburettors were fitted instead of the original twin SUs and Lt Walwyn raced the car quite successfully in 1960.
In 1963 he sold the Rapier to John Grantham, another pilot at RNAS Yeovilton. The next owner known about is Mr James Watts of Horndean, Hampshire, who joined the Register in 1982. He had owned 'AYM 787' since around 1978, and fitted a new body to it. In 1984, he brought his car to the Vintage race meeting Silverstone when there was a Rapier parade to celebrate the model's Golden Jubilee.
In 1986 James Watts sold the car to someone in Southampton but by 1990 it was in the Sheffield area with David Crabtree. By then, it had a dark green two-seater body and still had the four Amal carburettors. Dr Crabtree competed in hill-climbs and sprints between 1991 and 1996, and took part in the Rapier Diamond Jubilee parade at Silverstone in 1994. Over this time, the car and engine were totally rebuilt, the engine being overhauled in 1997 by John Macdonald (Macdonald Racing) who fitted stronger Jaguar con-rods.
David Crabtree advertised the Rapier for sale in 1997 and it was bought by a Mr Reinhard List of Edlitz, Austria. He converted the coachwork to single-seater configuration and painted the car green, as it is today. Since 2007 the current owner has maintained the Lagonda in excellent condition and raced it at several events in Austria including on the Salzburgring and at the Gaisbergrennen hill climb. Restored during 2003/2004, the car is described as in generally very good condition and is said to conform to the VSCC Eligibility Regulations currently in force.