Launched at the 1930 Motor Show at Olympia, the S-type Invicta featured an all new 'under-slung' chassis that achieved a much lower centre of gravity by positioning the axles above the frame rails instead of below as was normal practice at the time. Just about the only thing the S-type Invicta had in common with its contemporary stablemates was the 4½-litre Meadows engine, which was also used for the 'NLC' and 'A' models. Like most low-revving engines it delivered ample torque in the lower and middle speed ranges. Indeed, the Invicta can be throttled down to 6-8mph in top gear - despite its relatively high 3.6:1 final drive ratio - and will then accelerate rapidly and without complaint when the accelerator is depressed. Contemporary motoring press reports typically recorded acceleration figures of 10-70mph in 19 seconds, which speaks volumes for the Invicta's legendary flexibility.
The popular '100mph Invicta' tag notwithstanding, standard cars had a still impressive top speed of around 95mph with more to come in racing trim. However, it must be stressed that the S-type Invicta was primarily a very fast but comfortable high-speed touring car, and though it met with moderate success in racing in the hands of private owners in the early 1930s, its greatest appeal lies in an ability to cover a substantial mileage at high average speeds with no strain, either to driver or the machinery.
Over 70 years after the last example left the Cobham factory, approximately 68 of the 75-or-so original S-types are known to survive and most are in excellent order, testifying to the fact that they have always been regarded as high quality motor cars.
The Low-Chassis Invicta offered here is what might best be termed a 'continuation' car, built in the mid-2000s by The Invicta Car Company, whose proprietor, Mike Bristow, had acquired the brand in 1980. Chassis number 'S314B' is the third of these modern-day Invicta continuation cars, the first of which was built in the late 1980s. 'S314B' incorporates a number of original 1930s Invicta components including the engine and gearbox; steering box, drop arm, drag link, steering rod, etc; propeller shaft; front axle, stub axles and hubs; front brake assemblies; rear axle casing, drive shafts and hubs; and the rear brake assemblies (see The Invicta Car Company correspondence on file).
These restored components have been built into a new S-Type chassis constructed of similar materials and to the exact dimensions of an original example. Where required, new components were manufactured as exact replicas of the Invicta originals, including the steering wheel, steering wheel boss, dashboard, etc. The year 1936 was chosen as the stated date of manufacture as the last 4½-Litre Invictas were assembled in 1935 and all original parts used cannot, therefor, be any later than this. Construction of 'S314B' took almost four years to complete and the car was first registered in the UK in May 2010 as a '1936 Invicta S Type'. The Invicta Car Club accepts these modern continuations, which have been validated by the Club and accepted by the UK's relevant authority, the DVLA (see correspondence on file).
'S314B' is currently registered in Germany and since its acquisition by the current owner has participated in various 'retrospective' motoring events including the 2012 'Winter Marathon' (see press cutting on file). Offered with German registration papers and TüV, 'S314B' represents a rare opportunity to acquire a modern-day Invicta S-Type continuation car, built by the inheritor of the original company and accepted by the Invicta Car Club.
Please note the engine number is S314B not as stated in the catalogue.