Introduced alongside the six-cylinder 2½-Litre model in 1936, the SS Jaguar 1½-Litre was powered by the same 1,608cc, four-cylinder sidevalve engine as fitted to the Standard 12. Both models' flowing lines improved greatly on the preceding SSII's more angular coachwork, but in the case of the smaller car the new pressed-steel body and massively built chassis was more than the 50bhp Standard engine could handle. This shortcoming was addressed in 1938 with the launch of a revised version featuring an overhead-valve engine of 1,775cc, the latter's extra 20bhp providing a welcome boost to performance. Other improvements included a lengthened wheelbase, revised springing and Girling mechanical brakes.
Like the majority of Britain's motor manufacturers, Jaguar Cars, as William Lyons' SS concern had been renamed in 1945, commenced post-war production with a range of pre-war designs. Essentially stopgap models pending the arrival of an entirely new generation of Jaguars, these comprised the compact 1½-Litre and the 2½/3½-Litre model, retrospectively known as the 'MkIV'. Built on a generous 120" (3,048mm) wheelbase, the MkIV retained a separate chassis featuring beam front and live axle rear suspension on semi-elliptic springs and in its post-war guise incorporated a Salisbury hypoid bevel rear axle. The stylish all-steel coachwork was available only in saloon form (the pre-war drophead coupé had been deleted) and featured the kind of luxurious and well-appointed interior that would become a Jaguar hallmark. A contemporary report, comparing the 1½-Litre to its six-cylinder siblings, declared that the smallest version was 'as is often the case... the sweetest running car' with a 'big car cruising gait in the sixties.' The 1½-Litre was the best selling Jaguar of its day, appealing to those who sought Jaguar looks and luxury without the expense associated with the larger models.
This Jaguar MkIV saloon was imported into the Netherlands in 1987. The car has been in long-term ownership and was used regularly for weddings by the last custodian, who had the engine overhauled during their ownership. Described as completely accident and rust free, it boasts a sunroof and a delightfully original leather interior.
The Engine no. is KB6956E not as stated in the catalogue.