1934  MG Magnette NA  Allingham Drophead Coupé  Chassis no. N701 Engine no. 946AN
Lot 366
1934 MG Magnette NA Allingham Drophead Coupé Chassis no. N701 Engine no. 946AN
Sold for £73,740 (US$ 123,943) inc. premium
Lot Details
1934 MG Magnette NA Allingham Drophead Coupé
Coachwork by Whittingham & Mitchell

Registration no. CPE 962
Chassis no. N701
Engine no. 946AN

Footnotes

  • 'It is not surprising that with the makers' knowledge of racing... it should be capable of giving as high a speed as 80mph. What comes as a revelation is the ease with which on Brooklands that speed is reached and held. The rev needle hovering between the 5,000 and 5,500 marks, the whole mechanism feeling as one, and with no sense of adventure attached to such speeds.' – 'The Autocar' on the N-type Magnette.

    Small-capacity six-cylinder cars were much in vogue in the early 1930s and MG had duly climbed aboard the bandwagon in 1931 with launch of the Magna 'F'. Maximum output of the Magna's 1,271cc Wolseley Hornet-based overhead-camshaft engine was later raised from a modest 37bhp to a much healthier 47 horsepower. An extensively revised and improved version of this 'KD' engine, tuned to produce 56bhp, was carried over to the 'NA' Magnette of 1934. The chassis too had come in for revision, being lighter than hitherto, while the body was now supported by rubber-mounted outriggers, an arrangement that gave a more comfortable ride.

    Coachwork available on the NA chassis included the Airline fixed head coupé and Allingham two/four-seater drophead coupé, both of which were the work of freelance designer H W Allingham, the former being built by Carbodies and the latter by Whittingham & Mitchell. Together with Messrs Chalmer and Hoyer, Allingham had set up the coachbuilding company Chalmer & Hoyer Ltd in 1921, the firm's name changing to Hoyal in 1926. When Hoyal went into receivership in 1931, Allingham struck out on his own. Allingham's designs were officially sanctioned by MG and featured in its advertising in the motoring press. The drophead featured retractable dickey seating concealed beneath a flush fitting lid, which when erected served as the back for the two occasional seats. It is estimated that 11 Allingham dropheads were made of which only four are known to exist.

    'CPE 962' enjoyed long-term ownership in the UK until the 1990s when it found a new home in Germany. Its new owner had the Magnette restored, adding his initials – 'GN' – to the octagonal plate at the rear of the car marked 'AC/MG' (Allingham Coupé/MG). Carried out by K H Deutsch, the restoration included refurbishing the chassis and all other parts, while two years ago the engine was rebuilt, receiving a new cylinder block, Phoenix crankshaft, con-rods, etc (bills on file). A pre-selector gearbox was fitted while the car was in Germany. (The original crash gearbox is included in the sale). 'CPE 962' has been recorded in the MG Car Club's 'MMM' Register (car no. 89) since the 1960s but it should be noted that there is another (part only) chassis in existence stamped with a similar number, ('701N').

    Accompanying documentation consists of an old-style continuation logbook (1950s-1960s); old-style Swansea V5; a quantity of expired MoTs; sundry invoices; the original MG N Type Instruction Manual to the car; current MoT and Swansea V5C. A rare opportunity to acquire a six-cylinder MG sports car from the 1930s carrying bespoke coachwork that is both handsome and practical.

Saleroom notices

  • The (part only) chassis stamped with a similar number will be included in the sale. In relation to this we are pleassed to report that a recent letter is now on file positively clarifying the Triple M Register's position on this matter and is available for inspection with the vehicle's documents.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Rob Hubbard
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, W1S 1SR
    United Kingdom
    Work +44 20 7468 5805
    FaxFax: + 44 20 7468 5802