Introduced in 1953 as the 'Fend', after its co-designer Fritz Fend, the Messerschmitt Kabinenroller microcar was soon being marketed under its manufacturer's name, the change coinciding with a switch from the original's 148cc Fichtel & Sachs engine to a 174cc unit. Sited at the rear, the single-cylinder two-stroke produced a modest 9bhp, enough nevertheless to propel the lightweight and aerodynamic KR175 to around 55mph. The Plexiglas canopy, so reminiscent of those of Messerschmitt's wartime aircraft, hinged sideways to enable access for the two occupants who sat one behind the other, tandem style. Tandem seating and handlebar controls were retained for the 191cc KR200 of 1955, which featured revised bodywork, an improved turning circle and a floor-mounted accelerator and clutch. By reversing the electric starter the KR200's engine could be made to run backwards, thus providing four reverse gears and the hair-raising possibility of 60mph going backwards! Later models carried the diamond-shaped FMR badge, standing for Fahrzeug und Maschienenbau GmbH Regensburg. Production ceased in 1964 after some 30,000 KR200s had been made.
This FMR-type Messerschmitt KR200 was exported new to Australia and imported into the UK as a restoration project circa 2003. Fully restored to original specification over the course of the last ten years, it is offered fresh from completion and presented in commensurately good condition. Finished in yellow with blue vinyl interior trim, this beautiful Kabinenroller is offered with sundry restoration invoices, Messerschmitt Owners' Club dating certificate, current road fund licence and Swansea V5C document (an MoT certificate is no longer required for vehicles of this age).