Property of a deceased's estate
c.1954 Ariel 350cc Red Hunter
Registration no. GOW 170
Frame no. KS3614
Engine no. BE1616
By 1930 the single-cylinder Ariel had gained a rear-mounted magneto and its distinctive timing cover, and the engine's basic design - though frequently revised - would stand the company in good stead well into the post-war era. In 1932 the sports versions were christened 'Red Hunter' and under chief designer Edward Turner were developed into fast and stylish machines. In mid-1946 the Hunters became the first models to feature Ariel's new telescopic front fork, and the following year could be ordered with the optional Anstey Link plunger rear suspension. A new duplex loop frame with swinging-arm rear suspension was adopted for 1954, the 500cc VH gaining an alloy 'head at the same time (a feature the 350cc NH would not enjoy until the 1956 range was announced). In 1956 full-width alloy hubs were adopted across the range, and the Red Hunters continued in this form until production of Ariel four-strokes ceased in 1959. Although carrying a 1950 registration, this machine consists of a 1954 swinging-arm frame and 1939 350cc engine. (It should be noted that although the engine number is recorded on the DVLA database, the frame number differs). The mag-dyno is missing but the machine does come with the exhaust pipe and silencer, which have been re-plated. There are no registration documents with this Lot, which is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed.
- This lot is offered with a V5 registration document.