Property of a deceased's estate, one owner from new
c.1949 Ariel 350cc Red Hunter
Registration no. KLX 587
Frame no. RF221O
Engine no. DJ1190
Val Page's arrival at Ariel in 1925 as Chief Designer would trigger an upturn in the Selly Oak firm's fortunes. Page designed new models to replace the existing range, the first of which - a pair of singles displacing 600cc (sidevalve) and 500cc (overhead-valve) - debuted later that year. By 1930 the Ariel single had gained a rear-mounted magneto and its distinctive timing cover, and the engine's basic design - though frequently revised - would stand the company in good stead well into the post-war era. In 1932 the sports versions were christened 'Red Hunter' and under Page's successor Edward Turner, developed into fast and stylish machines. When civilian production resumed after WW2, the Red Hunters became the first models to feature Ariel's new telescopic front fork, and from 1947 could be ordered with the optional Anstey Link plunger rear suspension. This rigid-frame, twin-port Red Hunter was purchased new by its late owner and ridden to southern Italy soon after acquisition. An older restoration last taxed some eight years ago, the machine appears complete and will require re-commissioning, at the very least, before returning to the road after several years in storage. There are no registration documents with this Lot, which is sold strictly as viewed.
- This lot is offered with a V5 registration document.